Samsung has started the distribution of a new Beta build of One UI 4, based on Android 12, for Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3: the news comes a few days after the interruption of the distribution of the update in the stable channel, due to a large series of bugs, even reasonably serious, reported by the first users who ventured into the installation. Among these, we mention:
- Bricked unit
- Reboot into recovery during the update
- Significantly lower performance and slowdowns compared to Android 11
- Frequent crashes of certain apps
- Screen flickering
The new Beta build has been codenamed ZUL4 and has been in distribution for just a few hours. The changelog is not very full-bodied, but at least one of the problems that created the most headaches, the soft brick caused by the reboot in recovery, was expressly mentioned as solved. Here is roughly the news (translated from Korean):
- Fixed the bug where the device would restart in safe mode or recovery after the update. In rebooting after applying the update, all aspect ratio values set to 16: 9 or 4: 3 are reset to the app default.
- Links don’t open in some apps like Facebook and Instagram
- Fixed Kiwoom Securities app not working
Samsung says the patch is rolling out only in the Beta channel; for those who have already applied the update to OneUI 4 / Android 12 in the stable channel, there is no clear information. What is certain is that in any case, we in Italy do not have the problem – that’s exactly what staged rollouts are for, a subset of users acts as “guinea pigs” to avoid headaches for everyone else.