Huawei P50 Pocket it’s official: the new folding smartphone, star of numerous rumors in recent weeks, wants to openly challenge Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G with its clamshell format. Let’s find out more closely together.
Official Huawei P50 Pocket: here are technical specifications and features
Huawei P50 Pocket is a flagship, there is no doubt about this: its technical specifications include an OLED display 6.9-inch Full-HD + 120Hz refresh rate (with 300Hz touch sampling rate), 1.04-inch circular secondary display, and Qualcomm SoC Snapdragon 888 at 5 nm, unfortunately only with 4G connectivity. In the company of the latter, we find 8 or 12 GB of RAM and 256 or 512 GB of internal memory (expandable with NM memory card up to 256 GB).
Side cameras three rear and one front sensor are available: on the back take place the main sensor True-Chroma of 40 MP (f / 1.8), ultra-wide-angle of 13 MP (f / 2.2), and Ultra Spectrum for the color rendering of 32 MP (f /1.8); frontally instead a sensor from 10.7 MP (f / 2.2) integrated into the screen through the “usual” central hole. The Ultra Spectrum camera also offers Sunscreen Detection, which allows you to check your facial skin and determine if it is adequately protected from sunlight.
The OLED secondary screen 1.04 ″ (328 PPI) is circular and recalls the photographic module: as on the Samsung leaflet, it is used to display some information such as the time, date, and notifications, supporting widgets, and more (size permitting). Their battery is 4000 mAh and supports Huawei SuperCharge 40 W (wired) charging.
As widely expected, the Huawei P50 Pocket comes with the operating system HarmonyOS 2, without Google services.
Huawei P50 Pocket datasheet
- 6.9-inch Full-HD + OLED primary display (2790 x 1188 pixels) with 120 Hz refresh, 300 Hz touch sampling rate, 1440 Hz PWM dimming
- 1.04-inch OLED external secondary display (340 x 340 pixels) with 60Hz refresh rate and 120Hz touch sampling rate
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm SoC with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8 or 12 GB of RAM and 256 or 512 GB of internal memory (expandable)
- triple rear camera with 40 MP True-Chroma main sensor (f / 1.8), 13 MP ultra-wide angle (f / 2.2) and Ultra Spectrum for 32 MP color rendering (f / 1.8)
- 10.7MP front camera (f / 2.2)
- dual 4G VoLTE connectivity, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.2, dual-band GPS, NFC, USB Type-C (3.1)
- 4000 mAh battery with 40W Huawei SuperCharge wired fast charging
- HarmonyOS 2 operating system
Huawei P50 Pocket design
Huawei P50 Pocket is launched in three versions: an Obsidian Black with a mirror finish, a White with a particular texture, and a Gold Premium Edition (created in collaboration with designer Iris Van Herpen). The form factor is similar to that of Galaxy Z Flip3 5G, with a central hinge that allows you to close and open the device just like an old flip phone: the difference compared to the latter, of course, is that you have it available here a large touch screen with thin bezels.
The size of the foldable smartphone are 170 x 75.5 x 7.2 mm (unfolded) and 87.3 x 75.5 x 15.2 mm folded. The weight is about 190 grams.
Price and release of Huawei P50 Pocket
Huawei P50 Pocket is available for purchase in China starting today in two configurations as follows prices:
- 8-256 GB for 8988 yuan (about 1245 euros)
- 12-512 GB for 10988 yuan (about 1523 euros)
For now, we have no indications of possible global commercialization, but stay tuned to stay updated. How does Huawei’s new foldable smartphone look to you?
You might be interested in Huawei Nova 9 review